Thursday, August 21, 2008

Spring jmsTemplate threading issue

I recently encounter a problem while working on some Servicemix bug and it turned out that Servicemix jms provider is using spring-jms jmsTemplate and when there are multiple threads trying to do send receive (receiveSelected() to be precise) some of the messages are dropped.

While doing further investigation I found that multiple threads are using the same instance of spring-jms jmsTemplate that is created by the jms provider and this was causing some threading issue so thing to remember is to make the calls to jmsTemplate.receiveSelected() (atleast this one) synchronized.

UPDATE: I was too quick to diagnose the problem as jmsTemplate issue. With more drill down I was able to reproduce the problem with pure jmsTemplate and ActiveMQ combination and looks like a ActiveMQ issue than spring-jms. My friend Gary is getting it fixed in ActiveMQ currently.

No comments: